Monday, June 25, 2012

Why I Love The Chiropractor

I love my chiropractor.


How did I end up needing one? I had spent a few years in a folding chair, in front of a computer, with a monitor that was above my eye level.
Yes...I had been looking up with my neck in a terrible position with no postural support for my back. Awesome! Do me a favor: go out and spend good money on a cushioned and supportive chair for your job. Make sure it keeps you eye level with your computer monitor. If you're looking up or down at your screen, your neck will not be happy about it later!

You know what else I was doing? Sleeping with three pillows under my head. Something like this:

It's funny. I had never thought about how I sleep...ever. I can't believe I kept my neck in that position for so many hours.

I started getting terrible headaches with vision disturbances. The kind of headaches that make it feel like your head is in a vice. All the pressure was coming from the back of my head where it meets my neck. I began to get very worried. The only thing that seemed to help was to lie down, which took the pressure off my neck. I thought maybe my head had ballooned up, because it felt so heavy, like my neck couldn't support it.

I'm not sure why I even decided to go to the chiropractor in the first place, but I'm glad I did. My C2 vertebra (the second vertebra in my neck) is out of place from my neck being in an awkward position for so long. (3-ish years?)

I now go every 3-4 weeks for an adjustment and electrode stimulation therapy. I do stretching and strengthening exercises at home. I sleep on a neck aligning pillow and it's great.

Also, if I do get any pain, I use BioFreeze to quickly combat it. It's like IcyHot, but alot more powerful. I haven't had a headache in quite awhile.

I don't have health insurance to cover chiropractic, but if you tell the office about your situation, you can usually become a cash paying customer. It costs about $40 a visit. I think it's worth every penny. As my chiropractor always says, too many people are used to popping pills when something ails them. It's time to look at alternative treatments for pain and other ailments.


If this post helped you, please comment.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment