Friday, June 15, 2012

A Cello Tribute To Randy Marcantoni



 I've been out of the loop.

I had no idea that Randy had passed away.
He used to take lessons with me.
He was my favorite student.

Randy was primarily a bass guitar player, but he had a lot of interest in the cello.
I'm pretty sure he wanted to learn it so he could play it on slower, more ballad-type songs with his band.
He definitely plucked it like a jazz bass. We were always working on that, ha ha ha.

I remember how excited he was to be sitting on the same stage as Yo-Yo Ma at the Zoellner Arts Center.
I think he got to meet him, too.
I sat all the way in the back, but we met-up during intermission.
He looked so nice in that tuxedo.

At one lesson, he came in with the bass line to "Yesterday" by The Beatles all written out.
He had learned it and written in down by ear.
I recorded it.
You can hear his voice at the end.

So here, for your listening pleasure, is that very performance, with Randy on the bass part and me playing the melody. Thank you, iPhone, for having the ability to record amazing things like these.
Yesterday by The Beatles

The last text I received from him reads, "More improvement, one less drug to take. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is Love. 1 Corinth 13:13."

Rest in peace, my friend. 
You are missed.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jess. This is Jessica, Randy’s daughter. Thank you for writing this and sharing these beautiful memories with us. Do you still have the recording? I cannot get it to play. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete